Women of coastal areas are identified as equal partners in the ICZM project, Gujarat. In order to bring women into the mainstream and make them active participants in planning and management, several steps are ensured, such as:
- Involvement and participation of women is mandatory in CBOs. The Executive Body of the CBOs have at least 50 per cent participation of women members.
- The CBOs have two signatories, out of which it is compulsory to have one woman member.
- The Social Audit Committees formed in all the 160 project villages of Gulf of Kachchh have one woman member.
- Majority of the 478 SHGs formed under ICZMP have more women members.
- Equal participation of women is ensured in all the exposure visits conducted.
- In mangrove plantation, 60 per cent participation of women is seen